Ok. So I’ve been a bad blogger lately, not posting anything at all. Kids, sports and other activities takes up a lot of my time. But, really that’s no excuse as I do find time to watch my kdramas. Kdramas=saranghae 사랑해
Anyhoo, I love to make this yummy soup. I first had it at a local Thai restaurant. I wasn’t quite sure I would like it, but my friend Mary assured me it was soooo good. Well, hell, why not take a shot at it since it was included with the meal? Really, if it sucked, no skin, ya know? Well, Mmm Mmm Mmm is all I can say. The soup was ridiculously good, fragrant and comforting. I just had to make a similar version at home, otherwise I would be a weekly patron of this Thai restaurant.
My version contains no fish sauce. Adding fish sauce is the authentic way to do it, but I’m OK with it sans fish sauce since I didn’t have any around. You may prefer the fish sauce – go for it!
Easy Thai Coconut soup
- 1 can light coconut milk (I use Trader Joes, but I also like regular coconut milk – it will be thicker and creamier YUM!)
- 16 oz white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can less sodium chicken or veggie broth
- 1 or 2 green onions sliced, green parts only
- 1/4 cup of cilantro leaves, chopped into smaller pieces
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (not too much or it overwhelms the delicate flavors)
- 1/2 TB Gourmet Garden Lemongrass paste (comes in tube, found in the produce aisle)
- 1/2 TB Gourmet Garden Ginger paste (comes in tube, found in the produce aisle)
- Salt to taste, I use about 1 tsp, but can use fish sauce if you have it!
Add all above except for coconut milk to pan. It will seem like there are too many mushrooms, but they will cook down and flavor the broth. Once the mushrooms have cooked into the broth (this should take about 15 minutes or so) add the coconut milk. Shake the can to blend the solids and add it to the broth while stirring so no curdling happens. Don’t be lazy, just do it. Way better than picking out coconut curds later. Plate up and enjoy an easy at home version of coconut soup with grocery store ingredients. You can also add chicken to this, but it’s so tasty, there’s really no need to.
See photos below. I’m new to this so I haven’t really figured out how to make it all nice, plus it’s getting late and I don’t really care!